Tuesday, September 15, 2009

3 Ghost Stories: The Graveyard Book, Breathe: A Ghost Story, The Summoning



The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman has won a ton of awards. When Bod is 18-months-old, his parents are killed and he escapes into a graveyard. The ghostly inhabitants adopt him and keep him safe. As Bod grows up, he has adventures both in and out of the graveyard. Can the ghosts keep Bod safe or will Jack, the man who killed his parents, try to kill him also?






Another "ghost" story I read this year is Breathe: A Ghost Story. Jack isn't a regular kid - he can see and talk to ghosts. At first when Jack and his recently widowed mother move to old farmhouse things seem fine, but Jack soon realizes the spirits of four children also live there. Although they seem pretty harmless, another spirit "Ghost Mother" is preying on the children .... and Jack and his mother.

I'm in the middle of reading The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong and I wanted to blog about it now because I think many students will want to read this book.
Chloe, 15 years-old, and attending an Arts high school begins to see dead people. She has a breakdown in school and is placed in a treatment facility where she is diagnosed with schizophrenia. This book is definitely a page-turner and may be too intense for sensitive students. If no one takes this book out tomorrow, I will look forward to finishing it over the weekend.
This is the first in a series and if students like it, I will buy the others. Let me know!


8 comments:

  1. I'd really like to read the graveyard story... And I hope to read all three before school ends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jose, if you read all three, I'd be really interested to see which one you liked the best. I have my favorite, but I won't tell you until you read all three!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will do mrs. Miller! I will read them when I join library advisory =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Summoning is pretty good. I'm half way through and I liked most of it. However, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Lots of people said it was really really good and I had pretty high expectations. Have you read the second one? Is it better than the first?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say, I had really high expectations for The Summoning since lots of people said it was amazing. Although it was pretty good, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say, I had pretty high expectations for this one since you told me lots of people said it was really really good. I'm only halfway through and I've enjoyed the parts that I've read. However, its not as good as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lillian, the students who talked to me about this book all really liked it. I read about about 1/3 of it and liked it but didn't finish because students wanted to take it out.
    Please let me know when you finish. I'd like to know if your opinion changes!

    ReplyDelete