Friday, July 23, 2010

House Rules by Jodi Picoult

First of all, you should know that this is an adult novel. I am reviewing it here because the subject matter is appropriate for students and teachers. There is one (very minor) adult scene so be aware. I would definitely let my eighth grade niece read this, but I know some parents are a bit stricter. So, onto the book...

Jacob Hunt has Aspergers which is on the autism spectrum. Jacob likes rules, schedules, is VERY intelligent, and is an expert on crime scenes. He dislikes loud noises and bright lights, has a hard time relating and talking to people, and is easily confused if someone asks him lots of questions. Oh, yes, Jacob is also accused of killing his best friend.

This book is told from various points of views. We hear the story from Jacob's unique perspective, his mother's, his brother's, his lawyer's and from the point of view of the policeman who is in charge of the case.

I have had a number of students with Aspergers in my classes and have to say this book gives me a whole new perspective. The reader really gets to know how Jacob thinks and why he acts the way he does. Heart-breaking in parts and very funny in others, this book, I think is a very worthwhile read for young adults and older.

1 comment:

  1. This book was kind of hard to get started. Great mystery too. It had a bundle of twists which were really good.

    ReplyDelete