Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Cardturner by Louis Sachar

By the author of Holes

The Cardturner is an unusual book. This book is about many things: teenagers and growing up; friendships; first romances and break-ups; family relationships; and greed. But mostly this novel is about bridge (the card game). I don't know anything about bridge and I really don't care to read about bridge. Yet, I really liked this book!

Thank you Louis Sachar for alerting the reader (by way of a drawing of a whale) to boring bridge-talk. I was able to skip over boring (to me) bridge details and go on to what to me was a book about relationships.

Alton, a junior in high school, is forced by his family to be a "cardturner" for his rich, very sick, blind uncle. His mother and father want to inherit his uncle's fortune and be named in Uncle Lester's will.

I loved the characters in this book. Uncle Lester, Alton, and Toni (a love interest) are wonderful characters who seem as if they could be in your family. And although I didn't enjoy the "bridge talk", I could easily see students who are interested in cards really enjoying learning about how to play bridge in a very enjoyable way. And if you are like me, just skip over the "bridge talk" and enjoy the rest of the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment