Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sources of Light by Margaret McMullan

Hands down, the best YA book I've read in a long time.  Sources of Light is set in 1962 in Jackson, Mississippi. Sam and her mother move to Jackson to begin a new life after her father dies in Vietnam.

This is a time of turmoil for America. Although African Americans have been granted the right to vote, many people in the South disagree. Also, Sam's African American maid can't shop in the same stores as white people. African American maids can't even drink water out of the same glasses the family uses.

After Sam's mother gives a lecture at an African American college, their front door is covered in threatening graffiti and garbage is strewn on their lawn. And when Sam is having lunch in the local drugstore, she witnesses an angry mob pouring drinks and ketchup over the head of a young African American girl who just wanted to be served at the counter.
Sam also goes to her first school dance with a boy she has a crush on. But she sees him at the lunch counter and wonders if he is a racist like his father.

Well-written and thought-provoking - this is a book you shouldn't miss. I HIGHLY recommend Sources of Light.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like something I would really enjoy--just put it on my To Be Read list. I hope you'll come by and visit my blog,where I review books I love that middle school readers will love too.

    ReplyDelete