Monday, January 24, 2011

Across the Universe by Beth Revis


Across the Universe was a fabulous novel! I listened to the audio version of this book, and since it has alternating narrators, the audio version was riveting. I have it on the school’s iPod, so if you want to listen to it, just come and ask.


Seventeen-year-old Amy and her parents are frozen and are on board Godspeed, a huge spaceship headed for a new planet on which they expect to land in three hundred years. Things don’t go as expected, and Amy “accidentally” wakes up 50 years too soon. She joins the other inhabitants on the spaceship and soon learns that things and people are WAY different on the spaceship.

Amy discovers that someone unplugged her cryogenic chamber on purpose hoping she would die and is now in the process of unplugging others as well. In her race to discover the killer, she makes friends with Elder and his best friend. But can they be trusted?

I actually gasped during a few parts of the bookbecause this novel truly had some twists and turns I didn’t expect. I was so eager to finish the book, I picked up the actual book – the audio version was too slow- and raced to the end.

I think both males and females will love this book. I think this book is appropriate for eighth grade and above and for mature seventh graders. There are some references to sex and the main character narrowly escapes being raped.







3 comments:

  1. Wow! Across the Universe sounds like a really great read. I think I'd prefer the paperback to the audio version -even though I am an auditory learner. Your review leads me to believe I'd prefer the paper copy in my hands, so I could race through to find out what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly think I'm the only person on the face of the blogosphere that didn't absolutely love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What didn't you like about this book, Kenna? I really liked it and recommend it to many students!

    ReplyDelete