Monday, May 16, 2011

If I Stay and Where She Went (sequel) by Gayle Forman

 
If I Stay is a beautifully written novel following seventeen year-old Mia during the 24 hours after her entire family dies in an horrific car accident.

Told in flashbacks from Mia's point of view, the reader gets to know Mia, a cello prodigy,  and her relationship with her ex-rocker dad, her rock-chick mom, and her younger brother Teddy. I was fascinated by all the music references and lyrics in this book (from classical to hard rock) which added another layer of enjoyment for me.

While Mia is in a coma, Adam, Mia's boyfriend and lead guitarist in a rock band, asks her to stay. He will do anything if she lives - including leaving her so she can go to college in the East and pursue her music studies without feeling guilty that she is leaving him behind.

This book and its sequel Where She Went (told from her boyfriend's point of view) are for more mature readers. The accident scene was particularly upsetting and there is a little sex (appropriate, I think) that readers should be aware of before choosing this book.

Both books are so short, they can be read together in one day, but I will remember these books for a long time to come.
http://youtu.be/SrpMNXdEl3Q

1 comment:

  1. I heard a lot of good things about both If I stay and Where She Went, but I had no idea there were many music references in the books. Will have to check them out ;)

    I'm a new GFC follower btw! ;)
    Kind regards,
    I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete