Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Stay by Deb Caletti

When does love turn into obsession? Clara's relationship with Christian began with "love at first sight," but when do the intense feelings cross the line?

Caletti writes beautifully, and readers are drawn into the story quickly. Clara's relationship with Christian begins like any other relationship - they want to know everything about each other and want to spend all their time with each other. But slowly Christian begins to question and check up on Clara about the most mundane things. Things begin to snowball and soon Clara and her father secretly move to a beach house for the summer so Christian won't know where Clara is.

The scenes describing the beach town and the people who live there are some of the most vividly described in the book. I wanted to (still want to) buy a small shack right on the beach and live simply there.

This book is not just about Clara and Christian; Clara's father keeps an important secret from her that also is a big part of the book. Stay is for more mature readers. It does have some minor sex scenes (nothing explicit) and the relationship between Clara and Christian is scary-intense, but I was glad I read this one and I'm still thinking about this novel! 

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds amazing! I can't wait to read it once I'm done with the book "accidental love" by Gary Soto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay is one of my favorite books- I think you will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete