Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Blue Fish by Pat Schmatz

Last week a student asked me for a book that would make her cry. It was an unusual request from an eighth grader, but after thinking awhile, I managed to come up with a few titles.

Wouldn't you know, the next book I read had me in tears! This is a sad book in parts, but it is so much more. I've always known that you can't tell about a person's life just by their appearance, but that lesson is easy to forget. This book reinforces that belief - you never know what is really going on in a person's life by just looking at him or her.

Well, in Bluefish, things aren't what they seem in Velveeta and Travis' lives. Things are difficult, much more difficult than they should be for young teenagers. But both characters have spirits that shine through and enable them to persevere despite overwhelming odds.

After I finished this book (which I read in 3 hours), I came to school and put it in the hands of the first person who came into the media center.

Read this book, but first get a tissue for the tears that will probably come! I realize I haven't told you much about this book. It's about a girl with family problems, a boy who has difficulty in school, and a dog who made me cry.

1 comment:

  1. I think this book is a great book because it really shows how a person can over come a challenge.
    The Best Kent Fleet Repair Premier Automotive

    ReplyDelete