Thursday, January 19, 2012

Variant by Robison Wells

This is the chance of a lifetime for Benson. He has been granted a full scholarship to Maxfield Academy. He will be able to turn his life around, get a good education, and finally live in one place longer than a few months before he is sent on to the next foster home.

But when he is dropped off at the Academy, things seem strange. First of all, there are no adults anywhere. NONE! The only teachers are other students who read from a computer screen.

The entire school is divided into three gangs: Society, Havoc, and Variant. He must decide which gang to join - and quickly - before he gets badly beaten up, or worse.

Perhaps worst of all, there are cameras and microphones everywhere, recording everything.

And to make matters even worse, there is no escape. There is both a wall surrounding the school and barbed wire fences. Students who have tried to escape in the past are killed. Max is trapped and has no idea who he can trust - because if he trusts the wrong person, it could be deadly.

This book was full of twists and turns - it was fabulous!! It kept me guessing until the end. And then, there was another twist! I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes dystopian or suspenseful novels with a twist of science fiction.









4 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog- I think I added every single book to my Goodreads list! And, on your suggestions, I came back with 5 books from my local library! Thank you for these great suggestions!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind comments, Kelly. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment.
    I'm reading a really good book right now - I'll add it to the blog when I'm finished.
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is Awesome! I have just started it and it is awesome. anyone on this blog should consider reading it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you- I loved this book! I'm finishing a great one right now. I'll post the review in the next day or two-

    ReplyDelete