Friday, August 3, 2012

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

I put off reading Wonder because after I read so many glowing reviews about it, I thought it really can't be all THAT good, and I also wasn't sure it would be appropriate for middle school - after all- we all know what sophisticated tastes middles schoolers have - I can't go recommending elementary- level books to them.

Well, yes, indeed, it is all THAT good and I think this book would be enjoyed by all ages. How could that be? I'm not really sure how Palacio does it, but she makes us care about August - really care- care so much I was riled up in some parts of the book like it was really happening. I didn't feel as if I was reading a "kid" book, I felt as if I was reading an important book. And it's a book I'll remember for a long, long time.

August was born with with extreme facial deformities. Although he is very intelligent, he is home schooled because of his many operations and also to shield him (or shield others?) from his face.

The time has come for August to go to school for the first time, and this novel takes us through his sixth grade year at Beecher Prep. The author of this book must have spent a lot of time with middle school kids, because the dialogue and the actions of the characters in this novel rang true. Middle school is tough for even "regular" kids, but for Auggie it is sometimes brutal.

This book was humorous in parts and heartbreaking in others - I cried and can''t imagine anyone not really being affected by this novel. Read it!


No comments:

Post a Comment