Monday, January 14, 2013

The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen by Susin

I'm not sure I would have selected this particular book in light of the Newtown tragedy, but I'm sure glad I did. The cover led me to believe this would be a light-hearted book - it is anything but.

It is a beautifully-told story told from multiple perspectives of what happens when bullying gets way out of hand.

There is humor and great, great tragedy in this novel. I don't want to give anything away, but readers should know before they pick this book up that it is about a school shooting. But it's the first YA book I've read that tells the story from the perspective of the shooter's family.

If this topic is too raw right now, make a note to read this book later-it is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment